Friday, June 6, 2014

Throwing a little color on Corben



I've been padding my portfolio and honing all my various skills. One of the things i enjoy lately is coloring comic art. This can be done nowadays by almost anyone with a computer, but there are always varying levels of competency, and those who do it well take their work seriously. The professional colorists nowadays are true artists that, when using their tools correctly, add additional degrees of power and subtlety to the works they color. When done with skill, the storytelling is enhanced almost without the reader knowing it. When done wrong, it is at best a distraction, and at worst absolutely off-putting.

So, just for my own amusement, I'll take some awesome black and white comic art by an artist I admire, and I'll put color to it. Sometimes I'll go for realism, sometimes I'll go for symbolism, sometimes I'll just go crazy with expression and see what happens. Just a learning tool.

The panel here is from a Richard Corben story called HORRIBLE HARVEY'S HOUSE, and features many panels of a voluptuous nude woman. What better story to look at for long periods of time, I ask you?

So here is a panel from the story, before and after color, for my own fun and recreation.

Isn't Corben an incredible artist? I agree.




No comments:

Post a Comment