Thursday, April 8, 2010

PEABODY Comic Strip



I'll eventually get back to posting my early comic strip dailies for NELSON'S NEIGHBORHOOD, but until then, here is a spin-off comic strip idea. PEABODY was a character originally in NELSON's. He is designed with simplicity, and there are probably hundreds of other similar looking characters out there. When I designed him, there weren't any characters that looked like this that I know of. He has a simple oval head and blank oval 'Little Orphan Annie' type eyes. His mouth disappears if not talking, and perhaps even when he does talk. This one is also from the good old 80's ( I did replace my original hand lettering with a cleaner digital font), that's real zip-a-tone, and just look at that tiny television! One day soon I'll update these strips/characters, and repackage them somehow.

5 comments:

  1. that real zip-a-tone was fun though, wasn't it? I liked playing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if you were careful with your exacto knife! Blood on the paper/cardstock would reproduce as a black...heh heh...

    Plus, you could layer them at differing angles to create a psychadelic looking moire' pattern (mor-ray, I think) which was fun, though that tended to reproduce badly if done wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. arrgh. i would struggle with zippa-tone, cuz i always had a dull blade. it was much better if you could use scissors, yah ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only used zip-a-tone once. In college, we used to photocopy it and then paste it up with rubber cement instead. Much cheaper that way!

    I got to play with some duo-tone board once. It was too much pressure. Of course that was before I was on medication. I'm muuuch better now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved zipatone! I got to be pretty good at cutting and trimming it. Duo-tint was so much more expensive, I couldn't afford to play with it, but I had a LOT of fun with zipatone. One could talk a mediocre drawing (my work was a level beneath that) and make it look "tight" and professional. By the time of contemporary PC usage, my graphic endeavors were in the past, so I never attempted to adapt zip to PCs. Sounds like a fascinating challenge.

    ReplyDelete